Lawrence D. Berger
856-858-7012 (New Jersey)
- Areas of Practice
- Bar Admissions
- Litigation Percentage
- Past Employment Positions
Larry Berger joined SFMS in 2009. He is admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, as well as in the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, and the District of New Jersey, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court. In addition to these courts and jurisdictions, Larry has worked on cases with local and co-counsel throughout the country.
Larry's litigation practice has included matters related to mortgage and other secured lending, financial fraud, insurance and insurance insolvency, securities fraud, commercial contract disputes, employment disputes, and trusts and estates. Larry also represents people with disabilities in claims under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Rehabilitation Act, and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) including cases relating to special education, higher education, high stakes testing, professional licensing, and the right of people with disabilities to live in a non-institutional community setting.
Larry is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s National Roster of Arbitrators.
Larry earned his undergraduate degree magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania and his law degree from Yale Law School. Larry was a litigation partner with two large Philadelphia law firms before joining SFMS in 2009, representing plaintiffs and defendants in class action, securities and other complex commercial litigation.
Larry is a member of the Disability Rights Bar Association, and New Jersey Special Education Practitioners, and has participated in the Mentoring Program sponsored by the ABA Commission on Disability Rights.
He resides with his family in Haddonfield, New Jersey, where, from 1996 to 2008, he was a member of the Board of Education. In that capacity, Larry was active in planning and construction of new facilities (as Chair of the Buildings & Grounds Committee), employee relations (as Chair of the Negotiations Committee) and education of students with disabilities (as Chair of the Student Services Committee). He divides his time between the Firm's Pennsylvania and New Jersey offices.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Secured Lending
- Financial Fraud
- Insurance and Insurance Insolvency
- Securities Fraud
- Commercial Contract Disputes
- Employment Disputes
- New Jersey, 1991
- Pennsylvania, 1972
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1976
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1991
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1975
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Yale Law School, New Haven, Connecticut
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1972
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude - 1969
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, 1968
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Member
- Camden County Bar Association, Member
- American Arbitration Association’s National Roster of Arbitrators, Member
- The Disability Rights Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Ballard Spahr LLP, Partner
- Phi Beta Kappa
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation