Scott R. Shepherd founded what is now known as SFMS in 2000. He is admitted to practice law in the States of Florida, Illinois and Wisconsin, as well as in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the United States District Courts for the Southern, Northern and Middle Districts of Florida, the Northern District of Illinois, the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the United States Courts of Appeal for the Third, Fourth, Seventh and Eleventh Circuits and the United States Supreme Court. In addition to these courts and jurisdictions, Scott has worked on cases with local and co-counsel throughout the country and worldwide.
Scott's practice is concentrated on representing clients in securities, consumer and False Claims Act cases. Scott also is also experienced in handling a variety of antitrust, employment and other complex commercial matters. Finally, Scott has substantial experience representing clients in employee benefit, health and life insurance cases and other matters. In addition to his regular private practice, Scott also has handled a number of significant pro bono matters. He has represented clients in a number of political rights cases, including political asylum and voting rights actions. He has also handled numerous criminal appeals, including death penalty cases.
Scott earned his undergraduate degree summa cum laude from Westminster College in New Wilmington, Pennsylvania and his law degree from the University of Chicago Law School. Scott began his law practice in 1985 in Chicago, representing defendants in class action, securities and products liability litigation with one of the largest law firms in the country. Returning to Pennsylvania in 1989, Scott worked with a large Philadelphia corporate and defense law firm. He subsequently became a partner at Greenfield & Rifkin LLP, a well known firm that handled significant class actions, before starting a predecessor firm in 1998.
Scott is a member of the American Association for Justice, the National Association of Securities and Consumer Attorneys, the American Health Lawyers Association, and the Palm Beach County and Delaware County Bar Associations. Scott is active in community, as well as political and charitable, activities and divides his time between the Firm's Pennsylvania and Florida offices.
Areas of Practice
- Consumer and False Claims Act cases
- Illinois, 1985
- Pennsylvania, 1991
- Florida, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1991
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1991
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Certified Legal Specialties
- University of Chicago Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1985
- Westminster College, New Wilmington, Pennsylvania
- B.A. summa cum laude
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member
- National Association of Securities and Consumer Attorneys, Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Palm Beach County and Delaware County Bar Associations, Member